[Asterisk-Users] Digium Hardware Reliability

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri Jun 30 05:27:59 MST 2006

M.Hockings wrote:
> How reliable is Digium hardware in general.?  My new TDM400P just died.
>
> I am trying to determine if I have a lemon.  This a new PC with a Digium
> TDM400P in it with a single FXO and single FXS card just stopped working
> today.  It has been running less than three weeks with the the FXS card
> and has the FXO card in it only for about a week.  Today the power went
> out due to a mis-configuration on my part the UPS shut down before the
> machine shut down.  Now, I would not think this should be a problem but
> the Digium card no longer responds.  lspci does not show it either so I
> presume it dead
>
> So, at over 2x the cost is Sangoma hardware more sturdy than the Digium
> stuff?
>
> Right now we are back using the POTS phones with the nice new SPA-922's
> looking like cute paperweights.

I've been using a TDM04b since it came out with no failure problems.
Digium did replace the card and modules early on, when a card design
issue was identified. That's been about two years or so.

If you look at the components used on the Digium and Sangoma cards, they
are almost identical. Therefore, from a heat generation perspective,
both are likely to have the same issues without a reasonable air flow.

Given the number of folks on the list that attempt to do things without
the technical skills, knowledge, experience, configuration issues,
plugging a telco line into a fxs port, poor power supplies, no ups, poor
air flow, etc, etc; I don't think you're going to get any "reasonable"
response from the list in terms of reliability. For those that seem to
have the necessary skills, both Sangoma and Digium cards seem to be fine.

Since the TDM card carries a two year warranty (or greater), I'd suggest
you contact digium tech support and ask for their assistance in
determining whether the card is actually bad. You've already paid for
that assistance and they can handle warranty issues as well.

R.