[Asterisk-Users] Re: Digium Hardware Reliability

M.Hockings veeshooter at hockings.net
Fri Jun 30 11:10:06 MST 2006

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> On Thursday 29 June 2006 21:38, M.Hockings wrote:
>> How reliable is Digium hardware in general.?  My new TDM400P just died.
>
> I have a number of Digium T1 products (T100P, TE410P, TE405P and TE406P) as
> well as a few TDM400 based boards.  No failures in the last 2 years or so.
>
>> So, at over 2x the cost is Sangoma hardware more sturdy than the Digium
>> stuff?
>
> Not that I've seen.  I also have a number of Sangoma products.  Both work very
> well for me.  As an engineer, I can also see that the protection on the
> interfaces is comparable.
>
>> Mike (totally UNimpressed with Digium)
>
> I don't think this is a Digium problem, at least not yet.  What did their
> customer service people say?  Can you ask for a failure report?  You note
> that power went out.  Generally when this occurs there is a very high chance
> of transient voltage spiking or line swells not only on the residential
> electrical power grid but also on the telephone network.  Do you have any
> telco line protection in place to protect the card from nasties coming in
> from the outside?  Is the protection correctly installed?  How about
> electrical protection?  The MOVs in your power strip and UPS are only good
> for a few hits before they become ineffective (something they never tell
> you).
>
> Unless you know something more than you've presented here it is a little
> premature to start pointing fingers.
>
> -A.

Point taken.  I was not so much point fingers but asking what my
expectation should be and maybe shedding some frustration.  I don't
really have a lot of experience with this kind of communications gear
and it could very well be that one should keep spare daughter boards in
stock.

I was finally able to get the thing going again but I do not know what I
did to accomplish that.  I had tried the card in different PCI slots,
reseated the daughter cards, powered the machine with and without the
card, checked BIOS settings then after half a day of fiddling it just
started responding again.  Who knows what the problem was?

As far as heat and stuff go, the card is in the only card in a new
IBM/Lenovo box and has plenty of air on all sides.  The box itself is