[Asterisk-Users] How to use a data T-1?

Gabriel Afana asterisk at gafana.com
Mon Jun 19 10:33:55 MST 2006

After all the overhead, for uLaw you would need about 90kbps (give or take) and for G.729, you would need about 32kbps (give or take).  Therefore, you would have the following:

uLaw= about 17 calls
g729= about 48 calls

I am trying to start a voip service in my local area and sometimes seeing these numbers make me wonder how using VoIP for larger companies could possibly be profitable if you require a $500+ data T1 just have a decent connect (unless you use g729....?)

- Gabe

    Depends on the codec. If you are using ulaw, you will only be able to have about 23 calls. If you use g729 you can have as many as 187 simultanious calls on a data T1.

    Remember, you have 1544Kbs of bandwidth.
    g279=8Kbs per call
    uLaw=64Kbs per call

    Just do the math.