[Asterisk-Users] How to use a data T-1?

Warren warren-lists at icruise.com
Mon Jun 19 10:23:27 MST 2006

So let's assume I am going to use G.729A.  I am looking at using Polycom
IP601 phones which support G729A directly, so the only licenses I
believe I would need are for the calls going to voicemail or in the menu
system at once - realistically that number never exceeds 5 simultaneous,
since the phones can handle the CODEC and no transcoding is needed, so
those do not need licenses according to
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+G.729+Licensing.

It looks to me like, for testing, I can get a couple of the polycom
phones and have a server using an IP on the unused T1.

Assuming that is correct (which I will write up as an article for the
Wiki if anyone is interested when this is all done), the next thing I
need is a provider of VoIP service.  Also, it seems like the server
would go on the outside of my firewall with holes punched through for
the phones which would be on the ind=side of the firewall.  Would that
be correct?