[Asterisk-Users] T1 delivered via Copper

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 15:33:34 MST 2006

It is not up to you anyhow, the local phone company that gives the
last mile decides that. Usually it get decided on how far away you are
from the CO.
In any case they will test it before they tell you it's up and running
to make sure it's a clean line, with a low level of noise. The testing
goes for Fiber as well. Just like you have no control if the TDM
network you use when making a call across country is going over Fiber
and on top of that ATM SONET or even Satellite, you have no control
(nor should you have) how they bring the T1 to your smartjack.
Fiber is just a medium by which the upper level (layer) protocols are
transmitted. it happens to be that fiber lasts longer than copper, and
can take much more than copper, but if bandwidth and/or distance is
not an issue, copper is just as good.