[Asterisk-Users] Where's the Fiber

James Harper james.harper at bendigoit.com.au
Sat Jun 17 23:02:18 MST 2006

We have an unframed E1 used for data, and it is fiber all the way to our
server room, and then broken out to a G.703 interface.

A few of the E1's I've seen lately for voice have actually been g.shdsl
to the premises with an interface converter between that and the pbx.

You can always rely on your telco to do what they need to do for the
minimum investment possible, and if that means using fiber instead of
copper or visa versa then that's what they'll do. As long as the media
can support the bandwidth it almost doesn't matter what goes on
inbetween, as long as it comes out in the right format (eg T1 in your
case) at each end.

James

http://www.pulsewan.com/data101/pdfs/t1basics.pdf#search='t1%20via%20cop
pe
> r'
>
> page 4
>
> T1 Physical Characteristics
>
> A T1 is physically made up of two balanced pairs of copper wire
(commonly
> known
>
> as twisted pair). The pairs are used in a full duplex configuration
where
> one pair
>
> transmits information and the other pair receives information.
Customer
> Premises
>
> Equipment (CPE) typically terminate a T1 with a RJ-48C jack. The
following

> illustration shows a typical T1 cable and interface."

DS1-over-HDSL2.