[Asterisk-Users] Prices of g729 codec

Chris Bagnall asterisk at minotaur.cc
Thu Jun 8 17:52:30 MST 2006

I think the issue for many people here is not the cost of the licence
itself, but the very frustrating lockdown to specific pieces of hardware
without any real reason.

I say "without any real reason" because anyone who doesn't care about the
licencing of g729 has an easy alternative in the form of the downloadable
g729 binaries. They aren't exactly difficult to find - hell, they're linked
to from voip-info and a google search for "g729 binary asterisk" always
gives that page in the first few results.

Is the ridiculous hardware locking down something that was imposed on Digium
by the rights holder?

Instead of discussing dongles and other methods of locking down licences to
hardware, how about a discussion about why the lockdown is there in the
first place?

Regards,

Chris