[Asterisk-Users] Prices of g729 codec

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Thu Jun 8 18:36:25 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 01:52 +0100, Chris Bagnall wrote:
> I think the issue for many people here is not the cost of the licence
> itself, but the very frustrating lockdown to specific pieces of hardware
> without any real reason.
>
> I say "without any real reason" because anyone who doesn't care about the
> licencing of g729 has an easy alternative in the form of the downloadable
> g729 binaries. They aren't exactly difficult to find - hell, they're linked
> to from voip-info and a google search for "g729 binary asterisk" always
> gives that page in the first few results.
>
> Is the ridiculous hardware locking down something that was imposed on Digium
> by the rights holder?

its even more rediculous how trivial it is to bypass.  Again I came ot
the same conclusion about using that demo program for this purpose,
anyone who has the licensed codecs does it because they want the
licenses not just for the codec.

I think of it more as a 'soft hardware lock' since it is so trivial to
bypass ...  nuisanceware :)

Belfast IE +44 28 9099 6461    DE +49 801 777 555 3402
Utrecht NL +31 306 553058      US WA +1 360 207 0479
US NY +1 516 687 5200          FreeWorldDialup: 635378
http://www.trxtel.com we pay you to terminate calls with us!