[Asterisk-Users] Prices of g729 codec

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Jun 7 08:41:49 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 11:17 -0400, Ben Klang wrote:
> On Monday 05 June 2006 15:41, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> > The (current) problem is that the registration program does not ask which
> > ethernet card you wish to bind to, nor does it look at the Asterisk config
> > and use the MAC address of the ethernet card whose IP address is referenced
> > in bindaddr (as an example).  It grabs eth0 and runs.
> Has anyone tried renaming the interfaces on the box?  On all my systems I
> rename the ethernet interfaces to more friendly names ("dmz", "lan", "ext")
> so there is no ambiguity.  If the license verification code is really looking
> for "eth0" it might be possible to juggle some interface names until the USB
> ethernet interface shows up as eth0.

I havent used ifrename so I decided to install it and see, it appears to
fully masq the name so that when you get the device by name it doesnt
exist as the old (meaning its not an alias but a real rename).  The
device cant be up when this happens though, which may pose problems for
some who dont want to down the interface.

I dont know about the register tool, whether or not that takes more than
one ethN device, but I have heard rumors that the codec itself will try
eth0, eth1, etc until it gets an error back from the ioctl() saying that
the device doesnt exist.  If its pulling all those devices then it
stands to reason that it will use them all when comparing the licenses/*
files.  But again I dont use the digium codec but instead the 3rd party
one that as yet isnt released to the public, so I really cant say if
this is true or not.

Belfast IE +44 28 9099 6461    DE +49 801 777 555 3402
Utrecht NL +31 306 553058      US WA +1 360 207 0479
US NY +1 516 687 5200          FreeWorldDialup: 635378
http://www.trxtel.com we pay you to terminate calls with us!