[Asterisk-Users] Re: Zork and Asterisk

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue Jun 6 13:47:28 MST 2006

While I love voice synthesis, I think that you'd gain "legend" status
only if you had Allison (or, I hesitate to say, some other voice
talent) do the dramatic readings.  People respond so much better to
real recordings - I tend to use synthesis only where it is impossible
to have pre-recorded phrases, and since Zork is pretty much entirely
"canned"....

Do you have any idea how many text blocks there are in Zork?  In
sentences, kilobytes, or...?  She charges like $120 USD per hour (I
think) but she can fit a LOT of talking into an hour if someone else
is willing to do the editing to split up the continuous recording
into blobs.  I'd put $150 or so towards the project if you decide to
do it, but I can't put any time...

You should ping Gerd Graumann <gerd at LumenVox.com> at LumenVox to get
some demo licenses for voice recognition, and convince him  ;-) that
this is a good beta of the Asterisk/LumenVox partnership, because I
think it would be an excellent example of how useful a good voice
recognition engine would be in general applications.  If you make it
avaialble at no cost, then people would essentially be trial-ing the
voice recognition engine and seeing how nice it is for themselves in
an Asterisk system.

JT