[Asterisk-Users] Re: Zork and Asterisk

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Jun 6 15:01:17 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 13:47 -0700, John Todd wrote:
> While I love voice synthesis, I think that you'd gain "legend" status
> only if you had Allison (or, I hesitate to say, some other voice
> talent) do the dramatic readings.  People respond so much better to
> real recordings - I tend to use synthesis only where it is impossible
> to have pre-recorded phrases, and since Zork is pretty much entirely
> "canned"....

personally given the genre of the game a brittish female with only a
slight accent might do better than allison.  Of course if you are clever
(set(language) or whatever) and have the user select the voice that
reads might be interesting.  That way you can get a sean connery
sound-a-like or a patrick stewart sound-alike or whatever for some
callers and females for others ...

Then if you get into translations so its in native languages to
different callers ...

Could really turn into something.  But of course you would want to add
more than just zork (and infocomm games for that matter).  A MMRPG game
played over the phone where people can go into a 'tavern' (voice bridge)
and other stuff might do well too.  That way you arent all alone in the
virtual world.

Belfast IE +44 28 9099 6461    DE +49 801 777 555 3402
Utrecht NL +31 306 553058      US WA +1 360 207 0479
US NY +1 516 687 5200          FreeWorldDialup: 635378
http://www.trxtel.com we pay you to terminate calls with us!