[Asterisk-Users] IAX multiport ATA

Martin Joseph ast at stillnewt.org
Fri Jun 2 09:40:49 MST 2006

On Jun 2, 2006, at 2:59 AM, Thomas Kenyon wrote:

> Mike Hammett wrote:
>> I'm looking for an ATA\Voice Gateway that runs IAX and has several
>> ports (8 would be nice).  I am looking to avoid devices that use the
>> same firmware as the ATCOM devices as I found them to be buggy (and a
>> PITA to find the proper update).
>>
> The Atcom devices use 2 different firmware branches, the PA168 ones
> from
> aredfox (who open source it) and the CS6220 ones from Myson Century.
> Both are rather different.
> AFAIK only the PA168-based ones are the only ones that come in an IAX
> flavour, which is a shame since the most recent MC one seems to be
> pretty stable.

I am using one of the AG168V ata's here in my home with the latest
aredfox.com IAX firmware.  The quality of the sound has increased
immensely and overall the device works much better then it did with
prior IAX firmware.  Also, a cool "feature" of this hardware is that I
can flash the device to SIP, and it retains it's settings (ie you can
flash it back and forth without reconfiguring).

I have asterisk configured with this extension as BOTH SIP and IAX2, so
I can test both firmwares and not have to change anything on the
asterisk server.  In the prior firmware I was using SIP because the IAX
audio quality had major issues.  In fact I would say that the current
IAX firmware STILL does have an occasional POP or click that seems
inexplicable, but it's pretty rare and everything else works really
solidly.

So based on my (limited) experience I think the PA168 based devices
with the IAX firmware aren't perfect,  but are very good.  Hopefully
the firmware continues improving...  The SIP firmware also provides
another option.

Marty

PS I wish there was a cordless VOIP phone with the PA168 chip build
into it...