[Asterisk-Users] Polycom-Asterisk hints/presence

Damon Estep damon at suburbanbroadband.net
Thu Jun 1 17:59:11 MST 2006

> On 6/1/06, Damon Estep <damon at suburbanbroadband.net> wrote:
> > Thanks Bob,
> >
> > We have also done some similar stuff to make it usable, the prospect
> > that we might be able to achieve the same functionality and add to
it as
> > a bonus the ability to monitor the boss's extension state (idle, on
the
> > phone, away) with the same button was appealing, but a dead end it
> > appears.
> >
> > Is there enough interest here to get together with other
> > Polycom/asterisk users and pony up a bounty for shared line
appearance?

> > I think the Polycom implementation is based on some SIP rfc, so it
is
> > not just a Polycom feature.
> >
> > The functionality is going to be a must at some point, you have to
be
> > able to emulate what most of the midrange PBXs can do to propose
> > replacing them with asterisk, and this particular feature issue has
come
> > up more than once in our line of business.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas what kind of project this might be?
> >

>  I would think the biggest issue with this at this point is because
> Asterisk is not a SIP only platform, if one were to implement shared
> line appearance, it would need to be designed in such a way that
> channels other than SIP channels could participate in the "sharing" of
> lines.
>
>  It has been talked about a great deal, and at some point, it will
> probably be done, but just being compliant with the SIP supported
> methods of shared line appearance is not all that has to be done in
> order to get this feature in.
>
> --
> Bird's The Word Technologies, Inc.
> http://www.btwtech.com/

I'll contend that I could be way off base, but I am not sure I agree,
the SIP version of shared line appearance would be implemented in the
sip channel, the IAX in the IAX channel, etc.

I am not aware of any IAX devices that support shared line appearance,
and since IAX is an asterisk protocol there would not be any until
digium(asterisk) defines one.

Are you suggesting that this be put on hold until every protocol that
Asterisk supports has a standard for shared line appearance?

Even if this is the case, the SIP version of the feature should still be
rfc compliant, so it would stand to reason that the feature would be
implemented in the sip channel.

Jump in if it appears that I have no clue.