[asterisk-users] Developing VoIP with Asterisk

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Wed Jul 26 09:15:45 MST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: Carlos Alberto Bernat Orozco
[mailto:cabo81 at gmail.com]
To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
Sent: Wed, 26
Jul 2006 16:49:03 -0300
Subject: [asterisk-users] Developing VoIP with
Asterisk

> Hi Group!

Greetings and salutations.

> Still I'm concern about my problem with echo on the voice and I want to ask
> some advice to developing VoIP. Maybe I'm very ambiciuos or maybe not
> because I want to give VoIP to near 500 users.

The thing that you should be thinking about is how many simultaneous calls you want up. It's easy to have 500 accounts on a box.

> We got an small ISP and we have the project to give telephony (for now) to
> our users between them. Our resources are limited and I have installed * as
> a hope to give this service to our users. We have a good network (with small
> problems) but I believed that is possible to give this service. Our HFC
> network is very well calibrated and works fine. The users have cable modems
> to connect to the internet and we give private adresses to some users.

This shouldn't be too bad. Do some users have public and some private? You may be able to get away with reinviting internally. This way Asterisk would not handle the audio.

> I'm searching for someone who has the same problem in the past with similar
> things, to know how solve it and if is possible to give  VoIP calls with a
> server with a public address and the softphones (for the costs) with
> extensions registered on our * box. I configured * four months ago and
> between two extensions and works very well and but later I did the same test
> on this week and unfortunaly the voice goes out with echo. So I have the
> feeling that maybe there's something wrong with the codecs and wich codecs
> do I need to give the service.

You should try with a hardphone so you can eliminate one of the variables in the equation. I have heard of problems previously where users were using softphones and they were introducing the echo. Switching to hardphones solved it and narrowed down the problem ;)

> Thanks for any help you can give me

You're welcome and hopefully some others can give some insight and maybe information on their own deployments similar to what you wish to do.

> Carlos Bernat

Joshua Colp
Digium