[asterisk-users] Zip code, city and area codes

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Wed Jul 26 06:44:49 MST 2006

> If you need something more than that, it will be difficult.  A zip code can serve multiple NPA-NXX's
> and an NPA-NXX can be in multiple zip codes.

Don't forget that number portability significantly muddied the waters, and
VoIP has created an environment where there's no longer any need for a
physical relationship.  For example, ipKall offers Washington state phone
numbers for free.  Probably unusual to find your average end user having
such a number, but some people on this list will.

Number portability probably means that you either need a bit of fuzzy logic
to determine if the ZIP and the NPA-NXX are in the same region, or you need
to be clever about the implementation and how you handle negative matches.

... JG