[asterisk-users] Just bought a Polycom 501 - I feellike myGXP-2000 was better...

Michael Graves dickson at covad.net
Tue Jul 25 20:58:33 MST 2006

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 08:16:58 -0400, Dean Collins wrote:

>I disagree with you entirely which is why I've been such a strong
>supporter for Asterisk at home and now of Trixbox.

>There is no reason why this technology shouldn't be installed directly
>by an end user.

>It's no more complicated than messenger with LCS etc, it's just MS does
>a better job of hiding the complexity.

I don't entirely disagree. I said "a typical end user." There are end users who can and should undertake such matters. As a Linux newby I'm one of those who can do such things with some
research and occasional assistance. I am intent upon self reliance, and I don't bash the software for my own inexperience or failings. However, there is a broad range of users out
there....consider my wife for example....who would have no clue and should not even try. She loves her Aastra 480i CT phone, but can't be bothered even entering numbers into the phones
directory...good thing I load that off the server ;-)

I looked at A at H for my office but went another direction. It's handy but in some ways limiting. I think that making the effort to learn the setups by hand has had some rewards. I did pay
someone a token amount to write my first configs to get me started three years ago. I eventually settled on Astlinux running on embedded hardware as preferable for my application.

I can't speak to the complexity of LCS, but I have noted that a m0n0wall router is a whole lot easier than setting up the equivalent functions in Windows 2003 Server.

Not everything needs to be easy. Just because something is easy doesn't make it good. Some stuff needs to be very good....and the benefits are worth the learning curve.

Michael