[asterisk-users] H.323 an IAX

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Mon Jul 24 07:05:26 MST 2006

On 24 Jul 2006, at 14:24, Asif Ali wrote:

> Hi
> I have a problem with the NAT using H.323 and am thinking of
> employing IAX as a workwround. I have a scenario in my mind which I
> am not sure is gonna work or not, neaways here it goes.
> I want my IAX clients to connect to Asterisk which will be
> interconnected with H.323 terminating gateways. Now my clients will
> place calls using IAX and Asterisk will establish connection with H.
> 323 gateways but WOULD NOT relay media, i.e. I dont want to proxy
> media and media would be between endpoint to endpoint. Can Asterisk
> do this protocol conversion transparently?

> Is this practically possible? and would I be able to achieve NAT
> tarversal(at client end) using above mentioned scenaio? as I have
> read about IAX that it does NAT traversal. My Asterisk would run on
> public IP
> Any suggestion or help in this regard will be highly appreciated.
> Thanx in advance

No, you cant mix and match IAX signaling and H323 media.
  One of the reasons that IAX does NAT so nicely is that it uses the
same 'connection' (ie UDP port)
for control and media, but that also means it does not do RTP media.

On the otherhand if you are prepared to have asterisk proxy the media
as well as the control, then yes
you can do what you need.

Tim Panton

www.mexuar.com