[asterisk-users] Asterisk and H.323

Cesc cesc.santa at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 03:10:09 MST 2006

On 7/24/06, Aaron Anderson <webmaster at psphacks.net> wrote:

>  I have been messing with both all day.  I think what might be tripping me
> up is the extensions.conf.

i do think so too :)

>  I was able to receive an incoming connection from the client, but all the
> system returned was a busy signal.  This call was to a known good number (my
> phone) so I'm not sure what's wrong.

if you got the incoming connection but then got a busy tone, it is
because the "peer info" in your asterisk conf is not good ...
try the "standard" demo setup in asterisk ... there you can call
extension 600 (i think) and you get an echo test ...
later, extend this to call whoever you want ... but you'll need to
enter the "location" info somehow (i never did it ... ). I used
sjphone for testing ... try it ... you can add an extension to dial
directly to the IP address of the sjphone. So, you dial the MMM
extension on your phone, get to asterisk and then asterisk dials the
IP address of sjphone ... nice and easy for testing.

>  Will gnugk do a "translation" from h.323 to sip so I don't have to make any
> major modifications?  Is there an example gnugk.ini and h323.conf file I can
> look at to get this all running?

gnugk has no clue of sip.
gnugk is a gatekeeper for h323 ... you can do stuff with the dialled
numbers ... forwarding the call to various [asterisk] h323 gateways
and the like ... but the conversion of h323 to sip is done in
asterisk.

Cesc