[asterisk-users] Operator Console(s)/Shared Call Appearances

Sebastian asterisk at icheb.info
Sun Jul 23 00:26:02 MST 2006

Hi Mr. Jones,

Mr. Jones wrote :
> <snip>
>
> It seems there are probably two routes, but I'm not sure of the
> limitations of each.
>
> 1. Shared call appearances. This would seem to be the most similar to
> what we currently have where we have stations/DNs for 3 executives on
> 3 assistants phones. Of course with the existing system we have lots
> of programmable buttons.  We're leaning towards the SPA-942s, so I'd
> be interested to know how this might work (do we need the 4 line
> license, and are we limited to 4 call appearances)?
SPA-942's look nice, I however have no experience in using them, but I
don't really understand what you're trying to do this way.
Do you want some kind of audio or other message so the receptionist
knows when he or she can intercept a call?
> 2. Some form of PC application such as the one at Asternic.org, or
> something else. This would seem to have the most flexibility, but may
> require the operator to pay too much attention to the window, unless
> there's some audible notification.
Still not what I should do in this situation...
> A couple of other alternatives maybe to create a queue, or possibly go
> with a "side car" type device.
Well, it seems you haven't got very much experience in deploying *
systems, which is absolutely no problem.
What do you think about this idea;
1. Call comes in at one of the executive numbers.
2. Executive phone starts ringing for a predetermined time.
3. The callerid is changed to also reflect the name/number of called
executive, so that the receptionist knows for who the call was.
4. The call is dropped into a queue for the receptionist (queue because
multiple calls to the receptionist at the same time are possible).

This setup isn't all that hard, and doesn't require more than 4 sip
accounts / phones and one queue, with one agent. Furthermore, if your
company starts to grow, and more receptionists that have to answer the
phone are needed, it's quite easy, all you have to do is add a sip
account, one agent and add that agent to the existing queue. (About 2
minutes...)

--
Sebastian Berm
iPronto Communications