[asterisk-users] Operator Console(s)/Shared Call Appearances

Mr. Jones worldsense at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 15:45:59 MST 2006

Hi Folks,

We're migrating from a conventional KSU/PBX to Asterisk and I'm trying
to determine the best way to allow our receptionist to answer certain
executives telephone lines.

It seems there are probably two routes, but I'm not sure of the
limitations of each.

1. Shared call appearances. This would seem to be the most similar to
what we currently have where we have stations/DNs for 3 executives on
3 assistants phones. Of course with the existing system we have lots
of programmable buttons.  We're leaning towards the SPA-942s, so I'd
be interested to know how this might work (do we need the 4 line
license, and are we limited to 4 call appearances)?

2. Some form of PC application such as the one at Asternic.org, or
something else. This would seem to have the most flexibility, but may
require the operator to pay too much attention to the window, unless
there's some audible notification.

A couple of other alternatives maybe to create a queue, or possibly go
with a "side car" type device.

I'm open to any and all input.

Best,

Mr. Jones.