[asterisk-users] Zap channel faxing in or out fails but phone calls work.

Gregory L Miller-Kramer millerg at contexttech.com
Wed Jul 19 08:45:23 MST 2006

I have AAH2.8 on a dual Xeon system with a Sangoma A104 and an Adtran
Channel Bank.

The system has a single PRI connected to port 1 and port 2 has the T1
cable connected to the Channel Bank. Both are configured properly and
work for the inbound/outbound calls and soft-fax reception.

I have fax machines connected to FXS ports on the channel bank. The idea
here is to allow faxing out over the PRI from these FXS ports and for
inbound DIDs to go to specific fax machines.

I have Asterisk at Home 2.8 setup on this system and I am pretty certain I
have it configured correctly.
* Each fax machine has it's own Zap extension.
* The DID routes to the correct fax machine (zap extension).
* I can make and receive phone calls with these fax machines. Meaning,
the fax machine has a phone hand set. I can call out with that handset
and receive calls on that handset.

Here's the problem. When I try send or receive faxes it fails telling me
there was a com error.

Any ideas?

I am at a loss. I have followed the logs. The transmit and receive work.
Once the connection is made it fails indicating "com error".

Additionally, I hear the "whistle and chirp" of fax machines talking to
each other. Combined with being able to make and receive calls over
those fax machine hand sets I don't know what the problem is at this point.

Please, if anyone has fax machines setup with a similar situation I
would appreciate knowing how you have it setup.

OS - CentOS 4.3
zaptel - 1.2.5
libpri - 1.2.3
asterisk - 1.2.9.1