[asterisk-users] Extensions not busy showing as busy

Brian Vincent (C) VincentB at coppercolorado.com
Thu Jul 13 12:37:00 MST 2006

I ran into an odd problem last night.  I had to walk someone through
troubleshooting a problem and they didn't have a lot of knowledge, so I
couldn't garner a lot of info.  So my question is two fold regarding the
issue described below:

1.	What could I have asked to troubleshoot this better?
2.	Any idea what the problem might have been?

Issue: extensions registered on the Polycom 601's were showing as busy.
Do not disturb wasn't set, nor any forwarding conditions.  However, if
you forwarded to a different extension in a busy condition, it would
forward.  (That tipped me off that Asterisk thought the extension was
busy.)  So then we did a "sip show channels", and sure enough, those
extensions were listed.  At this point I didn't want to frustrate the
user much, so I had her do a reboot.  Sure enough, the reboot solved the
problem.  (I'm sure just restarting Asterisk would have done it as well,
but the "reboot" command is easier for her to type.)  Extremely dumb,
but effective solution.  I wished I could have fixed it differently.
Also, the extensions in question had been in that condition for a few
days.  We had already rebooted the phones and had them register (and
they did register.)  That didn't' fix the issue.

Brian Vincent
Copper Mountain Telecom
vincentb at coppercolorado.com

Confidentiality Warning: This message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s),
are confidential, and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review,
retransmission, conversion to hard copy, copying, circulation or other use of this message and any attachments is strictly
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete this
message and any attachments from your system. Thank you.