[asterisk-users] Re: for you guys setting up customer offices...

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Fri Jul 7 13:03:48 MST 2006

On 7 Jul 2006, at 18:40, Brian Capouch wrote:

>> BC> Everyone's mileage varies, and IMO it doesn't do any of us any
>> BC> good for negative opinions to be presented to the public as fact.
>> BC> You disclaimed, indeed, but you would have been better off to say
>> BC> something like, "Grandstreams have been problematic for me in my
>> BC> application space."
>> Perhaps that would be more diplomatic, but the truth is that
>> Grandstreams really are junk. Sound quality is bad both ways,
>> tolerance of packet loss and jitter is nil, and the user has to be
>> willing to reboot the phone once in a month.
>
> I hate to prolong the argument, but I respectfully disagree.
>
> I've over a dozen of them in the field, most of which are in light/
> medium use on a daily basis.  Generally the only reboots they
> undergo is when our notoriously flaky rural electric power fails.
>
> I have a business partner who has even more of them than I do, and
> he is equally satisfied with their performance in his industrial
> shop type application.
>
> The "talking CallerID" function is a majorly good feature, and I
> keep one of them in my office just so I'll know who's calling
> without having to go look at the phone.
>
> I wish you bashers would lighten up a little bit, and not treat
> those of us who are satisfied with phones as if we were too stupid
> to know what we can live with.

What you want from a phone depends on the environment.
I have one of the early zyxel wifi phones. I tried it in the office -
it drove me nuts, I can dial faster than it can take key presses
and it hates WEP.
I took it home, with a few speed dials it is ok, and the cordlessness
really comes into its own.

At work I have SNOM 190's - or Elmeg 290 (same thing)
I recently got offered the elmeg for < £60 (trade)
which is ~$100. It is too big for a small desk but otherwise great.