[Asterisk-Users] HandyTone 488 ata?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sun Jan 29 12:24:10 MST 2006

> > Anyone tried to muck around with using the 488 for both fxs and fxo
> > with asterisk?
> >
> > I've been playing with one for the last couple of days, and it looks
> > like its a little lower quality then the spa3k. No gain settings, echo
> > canceller is less then ideal on long analog pstn loops, etc.
> >
> > Anyone with good experiences?
>
> I played with FXO on the HT488 a bit, but didn't have a whole lot of
> luck.  We had a bit of a problem with echo, but more seriously the thing
> kept getting itself into a variety of wedged states: sometimes it would
> lock up altogether (usually with its button lit up), and sometimes it
> would refuse to auto-answer calls coming in on the FXO interface.  These
> latter problems have been severe enough that I didn't bother trying to
> diagnose the echo thing.  Plus, even when set to "auto answer after 1
> ring", it often seemed to wait for three or four rings before picking
> up.
>
> Our HT386s are also a little bit prone to locking up and needing to be
> rebooted, but that seems to be a different problem: it occurs less often
> than on the HT488, and seems to be triggered by something to do with
> call transfers (which we never did with the 488).
>
> I've just bought an SPA-3000 to replace the HT488, though I haven't
> installed it yet.  I'm hoping that I'll have a better experience with
> this one.  If that works out, I might toss the 386s in favour of
> SPA-2000s as well.

Thanks for the response.

I haven't hit the lockup issue as yet, but then the 488 has only been
around here for about 24 hours. Echo is considerably worse then the
spa3k.

Seems the spa3k functions pretty well (had a few since they first came
out), but the echo can on long analog loops leaves some to be desired
as well. Short loops seem to work just fine.

Rich