[Asterisk-Users] HandyTone 488 ata?

Phil Blundell pb at reciva.com
Sun Jan 29 12:15:05 MST 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-29 at 12:36 -0600, Rich Adamson wrote:
> Anyone tried to muck around with using the 488 for both fxs and fxo
> with asterisk?
>
> I've been playing with one for the last couple of days, and it looks
> like its a little lower quality then the spa3k. No gain settings, echo
> canceller is less then ideal on long analog pstn loops, etc.
>
> Anyone with good experiences?

I played with FXO on the HT488 a bit, but didn't have a whole lot of
luck.  We had a bit of a problem with echo, but more seriously the thing
kept getting itself into a variety of wedged states: sometimes it would
lock up altogether (usually with its button lit up), and sometimes it
would refuse to auto-answer calls coming in on the FXO interface.  These
latter problems have been severe enough that I didn't bother trying to
diagnose the echo thing.  Plus, even when set to "auto answer after 1
ring", it often seemed to wait for three or four rings before picking
up.

Our HT386s are also a little bit prone to locking up and needing to be
rebooted, but that seems to be a different problem: it occurs less often
than on the HT488, and seems to be triggered by something to do with
call transfers (which we never did with the 488).

I've just bought an SPA-3000 to replace the HT488, though I haven't
installed it yet.  I'm hoping that I'll have a better experience with
this one.  If that works out, I might toss the 386s in favour of
SPA-2000s as well.

p.