[Asterisk-Users] 5,000 concurrent calls system rollout question

Rob Thomas rob at wpm4l.com
Sun Jan 29 00:24:12 MST 2006

The question is somewhat ludicrous, and I'm slightly surprised that
no-one has sat down and done the maths about bandwidth utilization. So I
did.

To handle 5000 calls coming in over a PRI, you'd need 210 or so T1s or
170 E1's.

All of those would generate 320Mega BYTES of data per second (eg,
32Gigabit/sec)

There is no way possible that you're going to pump that amount of data
through a PC. Don't care about codecs and dialplans, PC's just don't
have that sort of internal bandwidth from peripherals.

If you do, honestly, need to handle 5k calls, you'd probably have to
have a bank of Cisco 5850s doing the termination - With a max of 5 DS3
(1 DS3 = 28 T1's) into each one, you'll need 8, or probably 9 as you'd
want to have one as a hot spare. Each of those DS3's would go into some
beefy switching fabric (note, that each one is producting 225mbit) and
you'd have some sort of asterisk box with huge internal bandwidth
handling each one. Cross connect all 9 asterisk boxes via 10Gbit
networks (note, you'll need PCI-16x 10g cards) and have a pair of
voicemail servers. I'd suggest a pair of big Sun boxes.

Then, of course, you have the issue of getting the calls _out_ of the
asterisk machines. You've just doubled your bandwidth requirements, so
you'll need to double up on the asterisk machines, and split the network
up further.

I'd take a guess that you could do it under USD$1million (just for
hardware) but I wouldn't be surprised if it was USD$10million.

I'm happy to sell you any of this 8-)

--Rob