[Asterisk-Users] 5,000 concurrent calls system rollout question

Martin Joseph ast at stillnewt.org
Sat Jan 28 23:51:09 MST 2006

On Jan 28, 2006, at 7:15 PM, Vic wrote:

> Hi, Zoa,
>
> yes, these calls are from SIP to SIP. We will have more than 3000
> (more like 5000)concurrent calls come into system and we will need to
> handle them.
>
> We will also need an IVR function as well.
>
> I am not up to speed on Asterisk yet, so, I am a little bit confused
> by all the different ways of doing it. Someone is talking about IAX:
> I think it can only be used between Asterisk servers, right?
You can also use it as and end use agent (ie an ATA or a phone).  I am
using an AG-168V which is a cheapo ATA that supports IAX directly.
This is nice because it simplifies ports and firewall issues.

> In this particula rscenario we are getting calls as SIP directly from
> carrier, so we will not need to do any conversion (I think). We just
> route the calls to the destination, that's it.
>
> Any suggestions on how to proceed? Can Asterisk do it?
>
> I read somewhere that it takes about 30 MHz per one voice channel, so
> if we want to have 5,000 calls, we will need 150,000 MHz? Thats like
> 50 3 GHz machines... Not going to fly with our people.
>
> Or do 30 MHz are only necessary for transcoding? In other words, if it
> comes in as SIP and we keep it that way, can we make it a bt more
> feasible number?
Transcoding is a big consumer of CPU for sure.  This has nothing to do
with SIP however and is related to the CODEC you are using at the end
of the line and in between.  If all you calls are coming in and being
delivered in the same format (ie g729), then you don't need to
transcode anything, and the CPU load is much lighter. In fact you can
setup asterisk to make a native bridge of these calls.

Perhaps you could try building a testbed?  That's what I would do.

Good Luck,
Marty