[Asterisk-Users] 5,000 concurrent calls system rollout question

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Sun Jan 29 03:48:54 MST 2006

Vic a écrit :

> Hi, Zoa,
>
> yes, these calls are from SIP to SIP. We will have more than 3000
> (more like 5000)concurrent calls come into system and we will need to
> handle them.

What exactly do you do with these calls?

> We will also need an IVR function as well.
>
> I am not up to speed on Asterisk yet, so, I am a little bit confused
> by all the different ways of doing it. Someone is talking about IAX: I
> think it can only be used between Asterisk servers, right?
>
> In this particula rscenario we are getting calls as SIP directly from
> carrier, so we will not need to do any conversion (I think). We just
> route the calls to the destination, that's it.

If you are just handling SIP signaling and routing a solution such as
SIP Express Router is much more appropriate than Asterisk for this kind
of volume.

> Any suggestions on how to proceed? Can Asterisk do it?
>
> I read somewhere that it takes about 30 MHz per one voice channel, so
> if we want to have 5,000 calls, we will need 150,000 MHz? Thats like
> 50 3 GHz machines... Not going to fly with our people.

It depends on what you are trying to do. If you are transcoding 5,000
simultaneous calls, it's going to cost a lot of money, wether you use
Asterisk or not...

--
Jean-Michel Hiver - http://ykoz.net/
Découvrez la Réunion des Technologies IP & Telecom