[Asterisk-Users] 5,000 concurrent calls system rollout question

Vic svictor at yahoo.co.jp
Sat Jan 28 20:15:56 MST 2006

Hi, Zoa,
yes, these calls are from SIP to SIP. We will have more than 3000 (more like 5000)concurrent calls come into system and we will need to handle them.
We will also need an IVR function as well.
I am not up to speed on Asterisk yet, so, I am a little bit confused by all the different ways of doing it. Someone is talking about IAX:  I think it can only be used between Asterisk servers, right?
In this particula rscenario we are getting calls as SIP directly from carrier, so we will not need to do any conversion (I think). We just route the calls to the destination, that's it.
Any suggestions on how to proceed? Can Asterisk do it?
I read somewhere that it takes about 30 MHz per one voice channel, so if we want to have 5,000 calls, we will need 150,000 MHz? Thats like 50 3 GHz machines... Not going to fly with our people.
Or do 30 MHz are only necessary for transcoding? In other words, if it comes in as SIP and we keep it that way, can we make it a bt more feasible number?

 Zoa <zoachien at securax.org> wrote:
It can be done, are those 3000 calls sip to sip ? If so it could easily
be done, if they are not sip to sip you will need a bunch of servers.

Zoa.