[Asterisk-Users] ISDN D-channel disconnects for a minute every 5minutes

Jeroen Zwarts bdjeroen at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 26 11:22:48 MST 2006

A little reply to self:

I have tested a few things more. I have had E-mail contact with one of the
guys from the Google groups thread. He was very helpful (thanks for that,
Francesco!) and he stated that there are 3 workarounds:

1) Dial out with the zap channel through AMI with 100 ms timeout. Do that
every 1 minute using cron and expect.

2) Find a piece of hardware that keeps the D-channel up all the time.

3) Call KPN (the ISDN provider) and ask if they want to set the D-channel to
"always up"

I have tried all 3 workarounds. This is what I found:

1) I have tried to call with an Expect script through AMI (got it from
Francesco). It seems to work, but I haven't tested it in a live situation.
The drawback is that the CDR database gets all kinds of garbage from the
"keepalive call" and it takes system resources every 1 minute.

2) Well, I found a piece of hardware: The Asterisk 1.0.9 box with Bristuff
0.2.0 . When that box is on the same NT1 as the 1.2.x box with Bristuff
0.3.0, everything works perfectly. Have to find another piece of hardware to
make it an atractive workaround though.

3) I have called KPN, and after 10 minutes on the phone with a first-line
helpdesk employee, i convinced him to log a call to an ISDN-engineer. About
3 hours later, the ISDN-engineer calls back, and says that it has been taken
care of. I tested an 1.2.0-Bristuff-0.3.0-PRE1, and lo' and behold, no
problems whatsoever! So this is the best workaround so far I think.

I will try to find out more what causes this problem, but so far I at least
have a working machine :)