[Asterisk-Users] G729a Pass-Through and Recording/Monitoring

Leo Ann Boon leo at datvoiz.com
Mon Jan 23 18:24:58 MST 2006

Steve Totaro wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am wondering about the ability of a server that is simply passing G729
>through it to have the ability to record the calls.  I know for
>voicemail, meetme, and things like that to work, a G729 license must be
>installed on the machine since there is transcoding going on.
>
>Is this also true for recording of calls?  Will I require licensing for
>each recorded call?  Will the server see a big performance hit in this
>setup whether or not a license is required?

The way I understanding it - a license is required if the media has to
be processed by the pbx core. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
To record the call, the pbx core will transcode the incoming stream to
the its native format (SLINEAR?) and then write the stream out in your
recording format (xlaw or GSM). In short, you'll need a G.729 license.