[Asterisk-Users] When/whether to use SER?

Philipp von Klitzing klitzing at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Sat Jan 21 07:42:04 MST 2006

Hi!

> 1 PRI to Telco
> 1 PRI to old PBX
> Several SIP phones with the intention of having approx. 200.

> Currently the traveling users have to VPN in first which I am sure is adding extra overhead to the calls.
> I have yet to open my server to the Internet to be accessible to travelers without VPN first.
> I have done some testing with VOIP provider though my firewall to FWD and VOIPSTUNT.
>
> Where might SER help?

Let's see what I can come up with:

* Advantages:

- SER supposedly has SRTP encryption support today through an add-on;
Asterisk isn't there yet (TLS is missing); with SRTP you can get rid of
the VPN tunnel. See:
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+encryption
- with SER multiple registrations with the same (!) user credentials
become possible
- You get the full power of a true SIP proxy permitting you to freely
modify SIP messages as you see fit

* Disadvantages:

- SER documentation isn't ideal especially when it comes to Asterisk
integration, and you'll need to dive more closely into the SIP protocol
details
- SER encryption is not that easy to set up; naturally you'll also need
SIP phones that can do SRTP (at this moment the SNOM 360 softphone is
probably the only softphone that supports SRTP, however this is rather a
test and promotion software for the real hardware phone than a permanent
solution for your users)
- you'll probably need the VPN anyway for web, email, database
connectivity - only if you decide to go for hardware phones instead you
might gain by not requiring the VPN
- You'll need to get used to and manage two instead of one VoIP system,
and that for a case where Asterisk alone would be totally sufficient by
itself
- You'll need to find a way to handle the MWI issue, see:
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+at+large

Cheers, Philipp