[Asterisk-Users] When/whether to use SER?

Leif Madsen asterisk.leif.madsen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 10:26:20 MST 2006

On 1/20/06, Steven <asterisk at tescogroup.com> wrote:
> I have seen a lot of references to SER.
> Where might SER help?
> Why are people using it with Asterisk?

I simply bring it down to this:

Am I service provider? If yes, then I probably want to use SER for my
registrations. If not (standalone PBX -- single company), SER may not
be necessary.

As for the media part of it, unless I'm delivering some sort of
"service" or require to listen to the media for some reason
(monitoring for example), then I direct the call through Asterisk,
else, I direct media directly between end points and get out of the
way.

Of course, its never this simple, but I find thats a good way of
thinking about whether you really need SER or not. I don't really
think a single company (unless its got a LOOOOOOOT of SIP phones)
probably really even needs SER.

Leif Madsen.
http://www.leifmadsen.com
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/asterisk