[Asterisk-Users] When/whether to use SER?

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Fri Jan 20 17:28:53 MST 2006

>I have done some testing with VOIP provider though my firewall to FWD and VOIPSTUNT.
>
>Where might SER help?
>Why are people using it with Asterisk?

SER's SIP implementation is very stable. It will handle a lot more
phones than asterisk (but does a lot less than Asterisk too).

I use SER to take care of all the SIP registration / signaling issues.
Then all PSTN stuff, routing, IVRs, etc. is dealt with using Asterisk.

SER also has some fairly adequate NAT helper modules.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.