[Asterisk-Users] Re: RE : codecs order and so on

Olivier Taylor olivier.taylor at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 09:02:37 MST 2006

Well, another try

[general]
Disallow=all
Allow=ulaw
Allow=g729

For the Uas, they are sets to have g729 first
Calls to/from pstn needs g729
Calls to/from zap needs Ulaw

ALL incoming calls works OK even if the caller is G729(I have made a caller
using g729 only)...

Calling zap => no problem, Ulaw is choosen
Calling pstn provider =>fail (I need g729 but Ulaw is choosen)
Call from zap => no problem Ulaw is choosen
Call from pstn => no problem g729 used...

What does it mean?
Strange isn't it?

In fact Asterisk let the Uas negociates the codec for incoming calls and
doesn't care for outgoing calls.
In a context for incoming, no problems
In a context for outgoing(I use goto context,extension,priority)Asterisk
doesn't take care of the context codecs priority.

It's then false to say that asterisk uses the prefered codec of Uas, I have
here a Ua wich uses differents codecs for incoming calls.
Question is : Why Asterisk doesn't care of codecs in an outgoing context?

Any good idea is welcome.

Ps: the solution is to have a g729 codec form Digium, ok, I have it and it
works, but it takes a lot of cpu (50% of my Soekris box).