[Asterisk-Users] GSM Gateway / Terminal for sale

Pete Barnwell peter at whole-uk.com
Fri Jan 6 05:42:21 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 07:35 -0500, JCC wrote:
> I don't get it. What is the advantage of using a GSM gateway? VOIP calls are
> pretty inexpensive as they are now. Is the use of a gateway intended as a
> backup incase a wired network connection goes down? I have being looking
> around the net for information on this. Anyone out there using it and if so
> you can please share with me how you use this technology? Any information
> will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jay

Hi Jay,

I use them because:

Calls between mobiles on our package are free. Calls from * to mobile
routed via ITSP aren't. If I route them via a GSM gateway then we don't
pay any call charges for calls to any of our mobile people. Instead we
pay about £14 p.c.m. for the extra SIM card, which we save in about 2
days.

Cheers

Pete