[Asterisk-Users] A unique 'click to call' project - Could use some advice

Aloi, Christopher caloi at usadatanet.com
Fri Feb 17 08:06:43 MST 2006

Hello List,

I work for an IP communication provider in upstate NY as the engineer
assisting our technical support team.
We provide a number of different Telco systems to residential
subscribers; and in an effort to more effectively trouble shoot
termination problems I came up with the idea of creating a click to call
system that will allow our agents to effortlessly place test calls.

On a daily basis we place numerous (50-100) 'test' calls to various
locations in the US; these 'test' calls are routed using one of three
different phone systems:

1) The PSTN
2) Broadband phone platform one
3) Broadband phone platform two

I have an Asterisk server configured that can terminate out three
platforms listed above.

Our support agents are behind a Televantage ACD using D-TermSeries E NEC
phones.
Each agent has a DID and are permitted to receive inbound calls on that
DID.

Here is my goal:

Create a web application that will allow the agent to enter the
following information into a form:

1) The agents DID
2) The platform the agent wishes to terminate a test call through
(either 1,2,3 above)
3) The number the agent wishes to terminate to

My thought is this form will generate a .call file in
/var/spool/asterisk/outgoing that will then ring the agents station,
pause, and terminate to the selected DID using the selected platform.  I
also thought about interacting directly with the AGI.

I can successfully generate the .call files, and ring a station on the
Asterisk server - the problem is the agents are not on the Asterisk
server.

Is there a way to use Asterisk to initiate these test calls?

Is it possible to create a forwarding context to handle this?

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

-- -- --
 Christopher T. Aloi
 USA Datanet - Technical Support Engineer
 318 South Clinton Street
 Syracuse, NY 13202
 C: (315) 569 4033
 O: (315) 579 7074