[Asterisk-Users] A unique 'click to call' project - Could use some advice

BJ Weschke bweschke at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 08:24:49 MST 2006

On 2/17/06, Aloi, Christopher <caloi at usadatanet.com> wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I work for an IP communication provider in upstate NY as the engineer
> assisting our technical support team.
> We provide a number of different Telco systems to residential subscribers;
> and in an effort to more effectively trouble shoot termination problems I
> came up with the idea of creating a click to call system that will allow our
> agents to effortlessly place test calls.
>
> On a daily basis we place numerous (50-100) 'test' calls to various
> locations in the US; these 'test' calls are routed using one of three
> different phone systems:
>
> 1) The PSTN
> 2) Broadband phone platform one
> 3) Broadband phone platform two
>
> I have an Asterisk server configured that can terminate out three platforms
> listed above.
>
> Our support agents are behind a Televantage ACD using D-TermSeries E NEC
> phones.
> Each agent has a DID and are permitted to receive inbound calls on that DID.
>
> Here is my goal:
>
> Create a web application that will allow the agent to enter the following
> information into a form:
>
> 1) The agents DID
> 2) The platform the agent wishes to terminate a test call through (either
> 1,2,3 above)
> 3) The number the agent wishes to terminate to
>
> My thought is this form will generate a .call file in
> /var/spool/asterisk/outgoing that will then ring the agents station, pause,
> and terminate to the selected DID using the selected platform.  I also
> thought about interacting directly with the AGI.
>
> I can successfully generate the .call files, and ring a station on the
> Asterisk server - the problem is the agents are not on the Asterisk server.
>
> Is there a way to use Asterisk to initiate these test calls?
>
> Is it possible to create a forwarding context to handle this?

 There's a couple ways to go about getting the calls to your agents.
The first, and probably easiest would just be to dial out through the
PSTN on Asterisk to the DIDs on the other system, but that obviously
is a waste cost and resources wise.

 The second, would probably be to do a PRI DS1 tie line between the
NEC and Asterisk and then just dial the DID on a Zap channel that
belongs to that span to get to your agents.

 But your objectives sound like they are definitely achievable with some work.

 BJ

--
Bird's The Word Technologies, Inc.
http://www.btwtech.com/