[Asterisk-Users] Re: More Polycom IP501 questions

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Fri Feb 10 12:22:05 MST 2006

Hi Andrew -

> How do all of y'all out in asterisk-users land set these phones up, and why
> did you choose to do it the way you did?  Were there nifty features you
> discovered through your particular configuration, are they set up to
> specifically avoid problems, or is it a mix of the two?

We've never bothered with Shared line appearances.  I've pretty much assumed
they are only good for emulating a key system.  For us it would be more of a
hindrance than a feature, as only our receptionists are ever interested in
taking calls from the main line (everyone else is DID).  We just use our
multiple line appearances to allow our users to take multiple calls.  Sort
of an advanced, visually-driven call-waiting.

> I haven't even started to play with the mini browser; that looks like it is
> going to have some serious potential, too.

Does the minibrowser work on the 500's?  I though it was only on the 600
series.

> Now for a side note: kxmleditor *rocks* for editing these damn Polycom XML
> configuration files!  It almost makes me feel a little queasy, like I'm
> editing the Windows Registry.  :-)

Cool.  Thanks for the tip.  I've always hated editing those stupid XML files
with pico.

- Noah