[Asterisk-Users] username not stabled? * DO NOT USE USERNAME for locally attached phones!!!

Ronald Wiplinger ronald at elmit.com
Thu Feb 2 20:45:38 MST 2006

Olle E Johansson wrote:
> Chris A. Icide wrote:
>> Ronald Wiplinger wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>>> 601, 602, 605, 606, 608, 609, 610, 615 and 616 are in sip.conf
>>> 621 and 626 are in Real-time sip_buddies
>>>
>>> 621 and 626 changes username back from name to number (name) in the
>>> database, and never shows it in "sip show peer"
>>>
>>> 615 changed username "Ronald office" to 615, although no change in
>>> sip.conf
>>>
>>> Did anybody else experienced that?
>>>
>>> *CLI> show version
>>> Asterisk SVN-trunk-r8447M built by root @ vpbx on a x86_64 running
>>> Linux on 2006-01-25 15:33:01 UTC
>>>

> DO NOT USE USERNAME!
>
> That feild is really something used together with defaultIP when we
> have *no* registration.
>
> * When we have a registration, we use whatever the phone tells us in
> the Contact: header, which is a SIP requirement. That is why we change
> it to reflect the known contact, provided by the phone.
>
> * We never change the device name of the phone, just the address we
> use to communicate with the phone.
>
> * This name is not used for authentication by a phone, it is not the
> username you configure the phone with.
>
> * In most cases, there is no need to use the "username=" option in
> sip.conf for phones.
>
> I will soon change this setting to "defaultuser" to make it even more
> obvious that this is not anything you need to set. The phone name is
> whatever you have between the square brackets in sip.conf, both for
> users and peers.
>
> I will check into the realtime code as well, to make sure we are
> changing the proper field in the database.

Olle,

thanks for explaining it.
Please think in my way for a moment and hopefully we get something usefully.

I have many remote users, and to make the life easy I use their existing
e.164 phone number. That way nobody of my users need to think what
number the other party has on our system or PSTN, ....
As more users you get, as less you will remember their "name". Therefore
I tried to use the field username for this help.
It is easy to remember 49 is the (only) guy in Germany and 8621 is our
Shanghai person, but most of the people are in 8862 (Taipei)!!!!

Is there another solution ?

bye

Ronald Wiplinger