[Asterisk-Users] username not stabled? * DO NOT USE USERNAME for locally attached phones!!!

Olle E Johansson oej at edvina.net
Fri Feb 3 00:54:10 MST 2006

> I have many remote users, and to make the life easy I use their
> existing e.164 phone number. That way nobody of my users need to
> think what number the other party has on our system or PSTN, ....
> As more users you get, as less you will remember their "name".
> Therefore I tried to use the field username for this help.
> It is easy to remember 49 is the (only) guy in Germany and 8621 is
> our Shanghai person, but most of the people are in 8862 (Taipei)!!!!
>
> Is there another solution ?

using a standard configuration option for something else than it is
intended is a dangerous path to take.

There is a setting called "setvar" that lets you set any custom
setting you want for all incoming calls belonging to a peer or user.
You can use this to set customer IDs, nicknames, favourite brand of
beer - anything.

/Olle