[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk video conference

Rusty Shackleford john97 at flatline.com
Thu Feb 2 16:34:18 MST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Shain Lee
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 2:14 AM
To: Asterisk
Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Asterisk video conference

Hi ,

I just wanted to know , how would be asterisk work with video calls ?
What are the hardware do we have to buy ?
Who are the providers  of particular harwares ?

Can we use video calls / video conferenceing in the LAN perfectly ? How
it would be depends on the WAN ?

Asterisk's support for video over SIP is very rudimentary. Only to video
codecs H.261, H.263, and H.263+ are supported, and even then, not very
well. There is no support for dynamic negotiation of frame rates, etc.
Queries to the -dev list, as to progress on these features were recently
met with silence. We will be looking to jump into the project to support
our own initiatives in the area of video in a few weeks.

Until things change, your best bet for connecting SIP video phones is
SER.