[Asterisk-Users] (newby) Is PING a good indicator of latency?

Damon Estep damon at suburbanbroadband.net
Wed Feb 1 07:41:44 MST 2006

ISP
> look better :-)
>
> Thanks

Being an ISP I have to disagree - ICMP traffic is rarely prioritized to
"look better"

Most large ISPs actually LIMIT ICMP traffic to counter ICMP flood DOS
attacks.

That does not make it a good indicator of a networks ability to support
voip. Any cheap ATA will have jitter, delay, and packet loss counters -
hook one up and get the real picture.

If you do use ping to pre-qualify a link, grab a copy of pingplotter so
you can tune the icmp packet parameters and packet rate, run it for a
long time or several times during different timeframes to see if there
are periods of congestion.