[Asterisk-Users] (newby) Is PING a good indicator of latency?

Cosmin Prund cosmin at adicomsoft.ro
Wed Feb 1 11:31:35 MST 2006

> Being an ISP I have to disagree - ICMP traffic is rarely prioritized to
> "look better"
>
> Most large ISPs actually LIMIT ICMP traffic to counter ICMP flood DOS
> attacks.
>
> That does not make it a good indicator of a networks ability to support
> voip. Any cheap ATA will have jitter, delay, and packet loss counters -
> hook one up and get the real picture.
>
> If you do use ping to pre-qualify a link, grab a copy of pingplotter so
> you can tune the icmp packet parameters and packet rate, run it for a
> long time or several times during different timeframes to see if there
> are periods of congestion.

Unfortunatelly good-old Windows based ping is all I can work with before I
actually sign the contract with the ISP. I need to assess rather the service
might be possible before I start throwing money at it (there's no such thing
as an "test account": I'll need to set up an account, pay the instalation
fees, pay one month in advance for the service then pay for the
disconnect!).

Sooo... what might I find using ping? Is there an "good" ping that shows I
can use the link for VoIP? I gues there's no such thing as "bad" ping
showing I can't use the link because ISP's are limiting ICMP traffic?