[asterisk-users] Re: Newbie Questions - Grandstorm phones?

Anselm Martin Hoffmeister anselm at hoffmeister-online.de
Thu Dec 21 05:01:18 MST 2006

Am Mittwoch, den 20.12.2006, 14:42 -0500 schrieb Doug Crompton:
> Anthony,
>
>  Ok I understand. The "011" is unique though and I guess the problem is
> the length of the remaining digits. This could vary based on country?? and
> I suspect there is no unique rule that could be applied??? I have not
> studied this but is there any uniqness to the remaining digits?
>
> Doug

There are no general rules for international number lengths.

In certain countries, the "numbering plan" is very specific about how
long a telephone number is - the US is the best example, where ANY phone
number is area(3)+line(7). AFAIK Luxembourg and a few countries with a
small number of telephones have rules as well.

On the contrary, in Germany there are area codes between 2 digits (only
a few, Hamburg, Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt) and 5 digits, and inside
those cities numbering varies wildly. Old lines (registered pre-1960 or
so) sometimes still have 3-digit numbers, especially in the countryside
where there is no urge to assign new phone numbers. A friend of mine has
the numbers "328" and "1653990" on the same ISDN line. And then, there
are DIDs with varying number length. A company I worked for years ago
had 9559-X where X might be "0" for central, two-digit "1X" for
department calling groups, "[234]XX" for individual phones and "9XXX"
for individual fax numbers.

No rules there, bad luck.

BR
Anselm