[asterisk-users] Incoming Lines Confusion

Forrest Beck jonforrest.beck at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 16:43:11 MST 2006

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I will give it
a shot.  There may be a better way to do this but...  I would use
agent Queues for your users.  Your users can log into the Queue, so
that if the dialed user is not available, then it will drop the caller
into a Queue for a certain amount of time.  After that time period
expires they will get a voicemail box for the original person called.

If Mary were to have a internal extension of 2101 (external phone
number 020-555-1212), and Bob has a internal extension of 2102
(external phone number 020-555-1213) then I would do something like
the following:

;Context for incoming calls.  VoIP/Zaptel calls will be dropped here:
;Extension is the number the caller dialed:
[incoming]
;Mary's Phone Number
exten => 020-555-1212,1,Goto(internalextensions,2101,1)
;Bob's Phone number
exten => 020-555-1213,1,Goto(internalextensions,2102,1)

;Context for internal extensions.
[internalextensions]
;m(class) replace class to specify a context in musiconhold.conf for
the music to be played
;during ringing. 20 is how long to dial.
;Mary--
exten => 2101,1,Dial(SIP/2101,20,m(class))
exten => 2101,1,Queue(findsomeone|tTn|||20)
exten => 2101,1,VoiceMail(2001 at yourvoicemailcontext)
;Bob--
exten => 2102,1,Dial(SIP/2102,20,m(class
exten => 2102,2,VoiceMail(2102 at yourvoicemailcontext)

www.asteriskguru.com provides alot of good information.  Here is a
tutorial on setting up agent queues.  You should be able to get a
agent queue setup fairly quickly.