[asterisk-users] Incoming Lines Confusion

Mr Gabriel angelisonline at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 10:09:08 MST 2006

First off, please, for the love of God, don't cremate me, if I should
already know the answer to this!

I've installed a small setup for an office who wanted to be able to talk to
each other instead of having to rely on MSN to communicate. Weird request, I
know, but hey, we do what we need to do to get paid. I installed soft
phones, gave everyone an extension, and bingo, they can call and talk over
their PCs happy as hell. Which brings me to my problem - they loved the
system so much, that now, they want it for ALL their calls, that is their
calls that involve the real world. ATM, they all have separate independent
land lines, which is why they had a problem in the first place, large bills
for calling each other, now they want a VoIP solution, that would have calls
coming in over their broadband connection, and automatically route to each
of their phones, depending on which line has called them. I just got out of
a meeting with them, and what they want, goes as such...

Bob has a VoIP number 020-xxx-xxx - when this number rings, the box answers
the call, plays some music, while it waits for Bob to answer. This call
should only go to Bobs extension. If he's not there, it routes the call to
his voicemail
Mary has a different number. When this number rings, it gets routed straight
to her extension, in the same manner as Bobs, but if she's not available, it
looks for who is, and rings their phones, and if no one answers, then goes
to voice mail.

Basically, there are 2 types of behaviours that they would like on their
lines. My problem, is how to implement it! I'm an asterisk virgin, and
getting them to be able to talk to each other across their office network
and 12 extensions, took the best part of 2 hours - I don't want to have to
spend a whole day working on this one.

The VoIP numbers have already been purchased, and are ready to go - i just
need to configure it all - Can it be done!?