[asterisk-users] Cisco 7970 + New Firmware (8.2)

Matt Gibson diwelf at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 13:27:16 MST 2006

Hi All,

Found out Cisco has some newer firmware available for the 7970 series
of phones. New sip images are at version level 8.2 (instead of
8.0.2,8.0.3,8.0.4), posted Dec 10, 2006. This major jump in version
numbers has fixed a few bugs (time zone not updating properly), but
hasn't figured what some would consider to be showstoppers
(registration not fully working, and mwi still not working).

Just thought I would let you all know there's new firmware to mess around with!

Also, to note, to get the phone to actually take this upgrade, and
you're running your tftp server on a linux box, then you will need to
rename one of the files for it to find it properly.

# cd <tftpdroot>
# mv jar70sip.8-2-0-55.sbn Jar70sip.8-2-0-55.sbn

Calls in and Out work, though the phone still shows that dreaded "red
x" next to the extension saying it's not registered. MWI is also still
not working with 3 or 1 in the MWI indicator slot in the .xml file.

And no, I won't email you the firmware, you need a cisco login to get
one, so get a friend, or join cisco yourself! :)

Happy Testing!

Matt G
http://www.voipphreak.ca