[asterisk-users] RDNIS question

Andrew Joakimsen joakimsen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 23:57:21 MST 2006

It is my understanding that the caller id is what should be the number of
the caller and that "RDNIS" actually is the telephone number that was dialed
when a call was redirected, IE: if you want to run some sort of voicemail
service you could use a single DID and know what mailbox to route the call
to. Ever forward your calls from a regular PSTN line or ISDN line to a GSM
mobile and notice that the mobile would indicate the call was forwarded?
That's RDNIS at work. What is your PSTN interface? If its analog lines you
won't be able to send anything else, if its a T1 or ISDN you need to make
sure your provider allows you to set your own caller id.