[asterisk-users] PCI, PCI-X and PCI-e -- Server / Interface Card Selection

Ex Vitorino ex.vitorino at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 13:53:18 MST 2006

Hello List,

The main issue is server selection regarding PCI bus connectivity
for Asterisk solutions. Most offerings on HP Proliants, something
I've been looking into, include PCI-X and/or PCI-e expansion slots.

I know PCI-e is totally different from PCI and PCI-X so, for now,
that's not an issue.

However, regarding PCI and PCI-X, and after googling for a while
and checking wikipedia and whatnot, I'm still not clear on my main
issue:

Can one use a PCI interface card in a PCI-X slot ? If so, under what
conditions ? (ex: 3.3v cards only ? PCI-X bus speed is brought down ?
what ?)

The objective would be to use Digium's echo cancelling PRI and BRI
cards and/or beroNet's BRI cards on, for example, a Proliant ML350 G4
or G5 containing PCI-X slots -- would such combination be technically
feasible ?

If not, where are you guys getting servers for your PCI based solutions ?

Can anyone shed some light into my doubts ? Pointers, documentation,
experiences ?

The second, kind of "attatched" issue, is associated to the growing
PCI-e buses in the current servers. I know Sangoma already has
a PRI card for PCI-e. What about Digium ? Other PRI, BRI manufacturers ?

Thanks in advance and regards to all,
--
Ex Vito